Police Not Facing Charges After Cruiser and Vehicle Crash in Mississauga
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) will not be charging any officers following a crash between a cruiser and civilian vehicle in Mississauga.
The SIU says that on the morning of June 29, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers blocked a portion of the 401 westbound express, just west of Renforth Drive, to ward off traffic from the scene of a collision that occurred nearby.
The SIU says a 64-year-old man was traveling in one of the middle lanes of the express portion of the highway when he came upon the roadblock. The man braked but was unable to avoid striking the rear portion of a stationary cruiser.
The SIU says the driver was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a fractured breast bone.
The Interim Director of the SIU, Joseph Martino, has determined there are no reasonable grounds to lay criminal charges against any officer in relation to the incident, arguing that police tried to warn the driver of the blockage before the collision.
"[Officers] seeing the [driver's] vehicle bearing down on the road block, flashed their flashlights at the driver to draw his attention to the pending danger. The [driver] ought to have seen the roadblock well in advance and corrected his direction of travel; for whatever reason, he did not. On this record, there is no evidence to reasonably conclude that the officers exercised a level of care in relation to the roadblock that transgressed the requirements of the criminal law," the SIU report reads.
The SIU is an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
- Major weather statement in effect for Mississauga
- Don Cherry fired from Hockey Night in Canada
- Very controversial, secretive business opens up in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Original News Coverage of the 1979 Mississauga Train Derailment
- 40 YEARS LATER: Canada’s Biggest Evacuation in History Happened in Mississauga
- Police officers not facing charges after injuring man during arrest in Mississauga
- Impaired Driver Hits Pole and Police Cruiser in Mississauga
- SIU Says Peel Police Officers Will Not Face Charges Following Man’s Injury in Mississauga
- Officer not facing charges after suspect injured during alleged break and enter in Mississauga
- Driver Extricated from Vehicle After Crash in Mississauga