Police Lay Close to 200 Traffic Charges Over Two Days in Peel
Peel police recently announced that they laid 184 charges over a two-day traffic safety blitz.
The blitz, which focused on Highway 50 and ran from Tuesday, June 20 to Wednesday, June 21, was carried out in conjunction with York Regional Police and the OPP.
According to police, the campaign is a result of numerous complaints and collisions in the area. Police say the initiative was designed to remind people that "an essential part of the enforcement job is to save lives and reduce injuries on our roadways."
"The safety of all road users remains a priority for the Peel Regional Police," says Staff Sergeant Michael Trauzzi. "Enforcement campaigns will continue to be initiated across the Region in an effort to reinforce that there is zero tolerance for aggressive and distracted driving. The message is simple, "Slow down. Eyes and hands off your phone and focus on the road."
Peel police say that police agencies across Canada are collaborating on the initiative and asking drivers to choose safe behaviours while travelling, whether as drivers or pedestrians.
During the campaign, Peel police laid 184 charges, including speeding, distracted driving, driving under suspension and operating a motor vehicle without insurance. Three stunt driving charges were laid where speeds registered 130, 134 and 137 in the 80 kmh zone.
A total of 259 charges were laid by the three agencies.
- Here’s How Many Changes Police Laid During a Road Safety Blitz
- Peel Police Launch Distracted Driving Campaign
- Massive Amount of People Charged in Distracted Driving Blitz in Mississauga
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in One Week
- Over 30 charges laid due to unsafe driving on one of Mississauga's busiest streets
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car
- 7 ways we can crush COVID in Mississauga and Brampton