Police Launch Internal Investigation After Officers Accused of Abusing Power
Peel police are launching an internal investigation following allegations of serious wrongdoing.
Peel police recently announced that the investigation is being launched in response to a recent court decision, R. vs. Somerville, from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
The decision comes after charges were stayed because of allegations that officers violated the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and abused their power in a case involving multiple drug-related offences.
"Upon learning about the ruling, I immediately ordered an internal investigation to be conducted by our Professional Standards Bureau into the conduct and actions of the involved officers," said Peel Police Chief Jennifer Evans. "I am committed to accountability to maintain the trust that we have worked so hard to build with our community."
- OPP Provide Update Into Major Highway 401 Collision Including Four-Year-Old Girl
- BMW Crashes Into Chinese Restaurant In Mississauga
- VIDEO: Four-Year-Old Ejected From Vehicle During Highway 401 Collision In Mississauga
- A Guinness World Record Has Been Set at Square One in Mississauga
- No Frills Has Introduced A Game That Lets Players Win PC Optimum Points