Police Launch Internal Investigation After Officers Accused of Abusing Power
Peel police are launching an internal investigation following allegations of serious wrongdoing.
Peel police recently announced that the investigation is being launched in response to a recent court decision, R. vs. Somerville, from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
The decision comes after charges were stayed because of allegations that officers violated the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and abused their power in a case involving multiple drug-related offences.
"Upon learning about the ruling, I immediately ordered an internal investigation to be conducted by our Professional Standards Bureau into the conduct and actions of the involved officers," said Peel Police Chief Jennifer Evans. "I am committed to accountability to maintain the trust that we have worked so hard to build with our community."
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- Tech startups can apply for funding and get in front of industry partners with this opportunity
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility