Police issue multiple fines for travellers refusing mandatory COVID-19 test at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
Peel police say they’ve issued multiple fines for travellers arriving at Pearson and refusing to take the mandatory COVID-19 test.
In an effort to curb the spread of the virus, the federal government recently mandated that people arriving at Pearson will be required to test for COVID-19 and will have to quarantine at local hotels for three days (at their own expense) until results are verified.
Since the order came into effect on Monday, February 1, police say so far they’ve issued three fines of $750 for those who refused to take the test.
Peel police say they’ll continue to enforce the order at Pearson Airport and issue further fines if necessary.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced new travel restrictions in late January, which he says are an extension of existing restrictions that already ban foreign travellers except those who are involved in essential services.
If the mandatory COVID-19 test provides a negative result, travellers will be allowed to go home but will still have to isolate for 14 days. Positive tests will mean a further stay at a government-approved hotel.
Trudeau said the cost of the hotel and the test will be placed on the traveller at a price of $2,000.
Travellers will still need to show a negative test before boarding a flight to Canada.
Additionally, the federal government says it’s working with major Canadian airlines to ban travel to the Caribbean and Mexico until at least the end of April.
- 49 fines issued for travellers refusing COVID-19 test at Mississauga's Pearson Airport; Peel police won't issue further fines
- 31 travellers issued tickets for refusing COVID-19 tests at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- 18 tickets have been given to travellers refusing COVID-19 tests at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- International travellers arriving at Mississauga's Pearson Airport will be forced to quarantine at own expense under new federal COVID-19 measures
- Ontario will enforce COVID testing for foreign travellers arriving at Mississauga's Pearson Airport
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Special weather statement in effect for Mississauga and Brampton
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- Police responding to male with firearm in Mississauga convenience store