Police investigating suspected arson at heritage building in Mississauga
Police are investigating a suspected arson in Mississauga.
Peel police say that emergency crews were called to the scene of a structure fire in the Victory Cr. and McNaughton Ave. area around 9:15 pm on Sept. 8.
Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish addressed the incident on social media on Sept. 9 and confirmed that the fire was set at Victory Hall, a Malton heritage building.
Police say that while no injuries have been reported in connection with the blaze, the building has sustained “extensive damage.”
“What a tragedy. Victory Hall in Malton, attacked by arsonists last night,” Parrish wrote on Twitter.
“Gorgeous heritage building heavily used for community activities. Quick response by firefighters. Still extensive damage. So sad.”
An investigation into the fire is ongoing.
Police say they are seeking assistance from the public in relation to the incident, alleging that the investigation suggests that the fire was intentionally set.
“At this time officers are appealing for anyone with any information on this incident to contact the Criminal Investigation Bureau at 905-453-2121, ext. 1233,” police said in a news release.
Information may also be provided anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by visiting peelcrimestoppers.ca.
Cover photo courtesy of Carolyn Parrish
- Police seeking public's assistance in solving arson investigation in Mississauga
- Police Release Photo of Man Wanted in Connection with Apartment Fire in Mississauga
- Police Seek Public Assistance Locating Man Allegedly Responsible for Fire in Mississauga
- Police on Scene at Suspected Building Fire in Mississauga
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Housing Complex Destroyed by Fire in Mississauga
- Stay at home order extended 2 weeks and police have new powers in Brampton, Mississauga and Ontario
- Mississauga and Brampton face curfews, travel ban as Ford plans next COVID move
- Ontario could announce new restrictions today to curb surging COVID 19 rates
- City of Mississauga planning controlled burn of portion of popular park this weekend
- City orders Mississauga gym to close but owner refuses