Police Investigating Strange Theft of Very Valuable Collectible Coins
Police are appealing to witnesses for assistance in a strange case involving the disappearance of valuable collectible banknotes and coins from a vehicle parked at a Mississauga hotel.
Peel police report that on Tuesday, Sept. 26, a 68 year-old man from British Columbia reported two bags full of coins and banknotes stolen. According to police and other media reports, Vancouver-based dealer Joe Iorio, who owns J&M Coin & Jewellery, parked his vehicle in the parking lot of a Monte Carlo Airport suites in the Edwards Boulevard and Derry Road area.
At approximately 1:00 p.m., the suspect allegedly gained entry into the vehicle and stole two bags containing a quantity of collectible coins and banknotes.
Police say the total value of items stolen is estimated at $500,000.
Earlier in October, Iorio told Canadian Coin News that the stolen products are worth over $1 million. He also told the news outlet that he was offering a whopping $200,000 reward for the return of all or a majority of the products.
Police say the suspect is described as a 35 to 45-year-old balding male with an olive complexion and heavy build.
You can see surveillance footage below.
Investigators are appealing to witnesses or anyone who might have dashboard video footage of the incident or other information regarding the case to please come forward. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 1233.
- Man Offering Massive Reward After $1 Mil Worth of Coins Stolen in Mississauga
- Police Appealing for Witnesses in Mississauga Shooting
- Police Seek Witnesses in Mississauga Shooting Incident
- Police Looking for Mississauga Theft Suspect
- Police looking for vehicle involved in shooting incident in Mississauga
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- Paramedics responding after vehicle crashes into Mississauga residence
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- New COVID-19 case reported at Shoppers Drug Mart in Mississauga
- New Jollibee restaurant opens at Square One in Mississauga