Police investigating phone scam targeting Polish-speaking residents of Mississauga
Peel Regional Police (PRP) are investigating a phone scam targetting Polish-speaking residents of Mississauga.
On at least six occasions between January 21, 2020 and March 9, 2020, several Peel residents contacted PRP regarding a suspicious phone call they received that made them feel unsafe.
All the calls occurred between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. and involved a woman speaking in Polish and claiming to be a police officer.
During the call, she would say one or more of the following:
- Asks how much money or jewelry they have in the house
- Asks them to withdraw money from their bank account and put it outside of their home
- Asks them not to speak to anyone about the request
- Says that their phone lines have been tapped
- Says that four armed persons in a vehicle are going to attend the residence's to collect the items
However, most of the people contacted caught on to her ruse, as was unable to con most people out of their valuables.
In order to prevent becoming a victim of a phone scam, PRP is encouraging residents to verify the details of the request; obtain a name, badge number, and police service of the person identifying themselves as a police officer; source the number for the police service independently; and avoid calling any phone number the unknown caller has provided.
Anyone with relevant information is urged to contact the 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau (905) 453-2121, ext. 1233.
Additionally, information may be provided anonymously to Peel Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-222-8477, or by visiting their website.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- Police say they are not ticketing drivers for having more than one person in a vehicle
- Mississauga up to 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious Koliba Park in Mississauga
- New Phone Scam Targets Polish Speaking Seniors in Mississauga
- Beware of This Phone Call Scam Mississauga
- Major phone scam affecting Mississauga; residents warned not to call back
- A New Phone Scam is Targeting Mississauga Residents
- An Ongoing Phone Call Scam is Targeting People in Mississauga and Beyond