Police Cracking Down on Transport Truck Drivers
Deadly transport truck crashes are up — way up, say Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).
They’re kicking off a “robust” two-day commercial motor vehicle (CMV) enforcement campaign on June 13, fuelled by the latest traffic data.
As officers gear up for Operation Corridor on all major truck routes in the province - including Hwy. 401 - they’re reporting 25 fatal collisions that involved a large transport truck this year, up 25 per cent since this time last year.
OPP have responded to a total of 3,047 transport truck-related crashes so far this year, with investigations pointing to the driver of the transport truck as the at-fault driver in a large number of the collisions.
“Poor driving behaviours and moving violations alone account for a large number of transport truck-related crashes every year,” said OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair, provincial commander of traffic safety and operational support.
“When other dangerous habits are thrown into the mix such as failure to adhere to vehicle maintenance, inspection and hours of service regulations as well as unsecured loads, it then becomes a question of when, not if more lives will be lostin serious transport truck collisions.”
Police are also commending “the many transport truck drivers who are committed to safe driving and other motorists who respect their space on the road and help keep Ontario roads safe.”
- Deadly Truck Crashes are Up in Ontario
- Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz
- UPDATE: 16-year-old cyclist dies after being struck by transport truck in Mississauga
- Transport Truck Rollover in Mississauga
- Major Road Closure Following Collison Involving Transport Truck in Mississauga
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant