Police Cracking Down on Transport Truck Drivers
Deadly transport truck crashes are up — way up, say Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).
They’re kicking off a “robust” two-day commercial motor vehicle (CMV) enforcement campaign on June 13, fuelled by the latest traffic data.
As officers gear up for Operation Corridor on all major truck routes in the province - including Hwy. 401 - they’re reporting 25 fatal collisions that involved a large transport truck this year, up 25 per cent since this time last year.
OPP have responded to a total of 3,047 transport truck-related crashes so far this year, with investigations pointing to the driver of the transport truck as the at-fault driver in a large number of the collisions.
“Poor driving behaviours and moving violations alone account for a large number of transport truck-related crashes every year,” said OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair, provincial commander of traffic safety and operational support.
“When other dangerous habits are thrown into the mix such as failure to adhere to vehicle maintenance, inspection and hours of service regulations as well as unsecured loads, it then becomes a question of when, not if more lives will be lostin serious transport truck collisions.”
Police are also commending “the many transport truck drivers who are committed to safe driving and other motorists who respect their space on the road and help keep Ontario roads safe.”
- Health Canada Investigating Countrywide Outbreak of Salmonella Infections
- Here's When Tougher Distracted Driving Rules Are Coming to Mississauga
- Intersection Closed After Four Vehicle Crash in Mississauga
- Top 5 Hottest Restaurants in Mississauga: June9-June 15
- VIDEO: Chaos Erupts Over Islam at Building Bridges Event in Mississauga
- Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz
- Transport Truck Rollover in Mississauga
- Transport Truck Accident Closes Major Intersection in Mississauga
- Crash Involving Transport Truck Sends Three People to Hospital in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Cab Almost Gets Hit by Transport Truck in Mississauga