Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
Published May 7, 2021 at 12:08 am
A lengthy police investigation has brought down an organized crime group that was targeting residential homes in Southern Ontario, including in Mississauga and Peel Region.
Members of the 11 Division Residential Break and Enter Unit dismantled the group they allege committed several residential break and enters.
Investigators identified several suspects responsible for numerous crimes in Peel Region and other areas within York, Halton, Durham, Waterloo, South Simcoe and Toronto.
Peel investigators liaised specifically with the Canada Border Services Agency throughout out the investigation.
Starting in March, investigators were able to recognize links to several residential break and enters that occurred within Peel Region.
In one attempted crime, citizens were able to thwart a break and enter in Mississauga and provide police with valuable information. They would learn that suspect gained entry to residences by smashing a rear patio door or window and then rummage through the bedrooms looking for jewellery, watches and cash.
With assistance of the York Regional Police Integrated Property Task Force, three members of the organized crime group were arrested after committing a break and enter on Thursday, April 29.
Search warrants would be conducted at several Toronto addresses and seized stolen property and several vehicles believed to have been used in committing these crimes.
Police would locate and arrest two further members of the crime group for prior break and enter offences.
Police have charged:
- Juan Rivera Gonzalez, a 28-year-old man from Toronto with 13 criminal charges, including Break and Enters and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
- Wilmer Fonseca Diaz, a 34-year-old man from Toronto with nine criminal charges, including Break and Enters and Possession of Property by Obtained by Crime.
- Hugo Andres Cuervo Martinez, a 30-year-old man of no fixed address with eight criminal charges, including Break and Enters and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
- Jorge Elasquez Leon, a 35-year-old man from Toronto with three criminal charges, including Break and Enters and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
- Yadira Santos Buitrago, a 29-year-old woman from Toronto with three criminal charges, including Break and Enters and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
Anyone with information in relation to the above parties is asked to call investigators at 11 Division Break and Enter unit at (905) 453-2121, ext. 1133. You can also leave information anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or by visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca.
INSAUGA PHOTOinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies