Plan coming Wednesday to address COVID-19 in long-term care homes: Ford
The Ontario government is set to unveil an enhanced plan to fight COVID-19 in the province's long-term care homes Wednesday.
Premier Doug Ford says the front lines of the battle against the virus have shifted to seniors homes, with 93 outbreaks at such facilities across Ontario.
Ford says the province will provide more details on the plan, which will include more testing for residents and staff and increased infection control.
He says the province will also stop people from working in more than one of the homes at a time to limit the virus's spread.
The government has also said it would be processing 8,000 COVID-19 tests a day by Wednesday but did just under 5,000 on Monday.
Ford expressed frustration last week that Ontario has been testing for COVID-19 well below its capacity of 13,000 a day.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 15, 2020.
- Doug Ford says school will not resume on May 4, promises to fight COVID-19 spread in long-term care homes
- Ontario asks long-term care homes for plan to stem the spread of COVID-19
- Ontario to call in military help to fight COVID-19 in long-term care homes
- One-third of Ontario’s long-term care homes experiencing outbreaks of COVID-19
- Ontario taking further action to protect seniors and staff in long-term care homes amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Drugs found at kids playland, 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- One of the best pho places in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Mississauga and Brampton businesses will be ordered closed if COVID-19 cases found
- Peel police asked to investigate after OPP officer seen pushing a child during a confrontation
- Mississauga and Brampton residents urged to avoid non-essential travel due to snow