Picture of Justin Trudeau in Brownface at 2001 ‘Arabian Nights’ Party Surfaces
A picture of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing brownface makeup has surfaced on the internet.
The picture shows Trudeau wearing brownface to a party at West Point Grey Academy, a private school he was teaching at in Spring 2001.
According to TIME who obtained the photograph, the picture was taken at an "Arabian Nights"-themed gala, where Trudeau showed up wearing a turban and robes with his face, neck and hands darkened.
TIME obtained the photo when they got a copy of their yearbook, The View, from Vancouver businessman Michael Adamson, who was part of the West Point Grey Academy community.
The Liberal Party's Media Relations Leader Zita Astravas has confirmed that it is Trudeau in the picture.
"It was a photo taken while he was teaching in Vancouver, at the school's annual dinner which had a costume theme of 'Arabian Nights.' He attended with friends and colleagues dressed as a character from Aladdin," said Astravas to TIME.
Trudeau is holding a news conference later today (Sept. 18) to address the photograph.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Ice from other vehicle shatters windshield in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $2 mil family home with impressive kitchen
- City fining contractor after snow plow takes out garbage bins in Mississauga
- Justin Trudeau Responds to His Picture in Brownface at 2001 ‘Arabian Nights’ Party
- Jagmeet Singh Comments On Justin Trudeau's Picture Wearing Brownface
- Justin Trudeau Promises To Lower Taxes and Cell Phone Bills in Mississauga
- Justin Trudeau Still Preferred Prime Minister After Blackface Photos
- Opinion: Trudeau and Scheer demonstrate their hypocrisy