PICK A SIDE: Is it still too soon for movie theatres to be reopening?
After many cities in Ontario were permitted to enter Stage 3, Cineplex said it wouldn’t be immediately reopening its theatres.
In July, the company announced it would be reopening only select cinemas across Ontario.
Now, as of August 21, all Cineplex locations across the country have been reopened.
According to a news release, all 164 Cineplex theatres and 1,687 screens from across the country have been reopened, including all 22 VIP Cinemas locations.
In order to keep both employees and customers safe, Cineplex will be minimizing person-to-person contact inside theatres—Cineplex box offices will remain closed, and guests will be required to purchase tickets online, through the Cineplex app, or via a self-serve kiosk.
As a result, cash will not be accepted except for gift cards which may be purchased at the concession stands.
Additionally, staff will be required to wear PPE including face coverings/masks as will guests while inside common areas.
Further, auditoriums including seats, handrails and children’s booster seats are wiped down with industrial-grade cleaning products between each showtime, and hand sanitizer is available in the lobby.
Moreover, all seats are assigned, and guests are instructed to show up no more than 15 minutes before their movie starts to facilitate physical distancing in the lobby.
However, movie theatres will be selling food and concessions, albeit in limited capacity.
But is this enough?
Do you think it’s too risky to attend a movie right now?
Many in favour believe the safety measures being taken are on par with what other businesses, including restaurants, are doing.
Those against believe the risk of spreading the virus, which is heightened within enclosed spaces, is enough reason to hold off on reopening.
Others believe the benefits outweigh the risks, including the jobs that it creates for those who would otherwise be out of work, as well as the escape from the dark reality of the pandemic that the cinema provides.
So, Mississauga, what do you think?
Should Cineplex be fully reopening?
- Cineplex to reopen all movie theatres on Aug. 21
- Cineplex reopening a movie theatre in Mississauga
- Cineplex reopening cinemas in Brampton, Mississauga, Hamilton, Halton, and Ontario starting next week
- Cineplex to stick with optional face masks policy, as U.S. theatres reconsider
- Suspicious Attacks Prompt Cineplex to Pull Film From Theatres Again
- Brampton restaurant ordered to pay $13K in missed wages to former cook
- Unvaccinated students in Mississauga and Ontario will follow stricter COVID outbreak rules, Ontario top doc says
- $500,000 lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke
- Mississauga and Ontario residents will be told how many COVID-19 cases are in unvaccinated people, province promises
- Longtime friends from Brampton and Georgetown richer for sharing Lotto Max ticket