PHOTOS: Vehicle Travelling Wrong Way Involved in Fatal Crash in Mississauga
More information has been disclosed regarding the circumstances of an overnight highway crash that claimed the life of one person.
Police got a call around 3:24 a.m. Saturday (April 28) for a single vehicle collision on Highway 403 westbound near Eglinton in Mississauga.
According to OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, police received reports that a vehicle was travelling the wrong way, going eastbound in the westbound lanes.
Before officers could get into position to intercept the vehicle, it crashed into a concrete guide rail, Schmidt reports.
The driver, a 29 year old Whitby man, was pronounced dead on scene. There were no other occupants in the vehicle.
“The collision was absolutely catastrophic. It was devastating,” Schmidt says. “The driver was killed on impact.”
The victim’s family has been notified.
Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of this incident, including where exactly the vehicle got on the highway and whether or not alcohol was a factor.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have dashcam footage is asked to contact Port Credit OPP at 905-278-6131.
Photos courtesy of Sgt. Kerry Schmidt @OPP_HSD
- Archaeological artifacts found at site of a proposed hotel in Mississauga
- PICK A SIDE: What's the minimum amount to tip at a restaurant?
- PHOTOS: History-making, 18 million square foot development planned for Mississauga
- Seven-year-old child shot in Hamilton
- More snow coming to Mississauga this weekend
- UPDATE: One Person Dead Following Serious Multi-Vehicle Highway Crash in Mississauga
- Male Pronounced Dead After Vehicle Rollover Just Outside Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Driver Arrested After Highway Crash Injures Six in Mississauga
- Police Looking For Second Vehicle That Was Involved in a Fatal Crash
- Police Say Road Rage May Be Factor in Crash That Killed 22-Year-Old Woman in Mississauga