PHOTOS: A Look at Historical Mississauga
Have you ever wondered what Mississauga looked like through the ages?
If you visit PAMA (Peel Art Gallery Museums + Archives), you can see the Mississauga of a bygone era. Mississauga Highlights from the Peel 150: Stories of Canada exhibition is on now at PAMA and it offers a look at Mississauga’s buildings (and famous families) from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Also, if you want to enjoy a little history and culture for less, you might be happy to hear that free (yes, free) Admission continues in August in celebration of Peel and Canada 150!
“This year we celebrate Peel & Canada 150. Explore PAMA’s art, archives, and museum collections to discover who we are as a community: past, present, and future,” says PAMA. “The exhibition also features the work of Manitoulin Island artist James Simon Mishibinijima: Residential School Paintings and Seven Grandfather Teachings.”
So if you want to learn more about your city, here’s a little taste of what’s in store.
- All images and captions courtesy of PAMA
Mississauga Tract (Likely 1818)
Sign, (1865) Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist Church
Cawartha Family in Egypt (around 1890)
Brick (around 1910) Port Credit Brick Co.
Lorne Park Library (around 1910) Aurthur E. Luker
Schooner Lillian at Port Credit (1928)
Meadowvale Library (1940s) Founded by the Peel Women’s Institute
Police Badge (around 1950) Port Credit Police and Fire Dept.
Avro Arrow cockpit mock-up shell, around 1958. A.V. Roe.
Sign, (about 1960) Derry West Women’s Institute
You can discover hundreds of Peel treasures in this exhibition, on now until October 15 at Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives in downtown Brampton (9 Wellington St. E.).
Visit www.pama.peelregion.ca to learn more
- Here's What's Happening at Peel Region's Art Gallery and Museum This Summer
- PAMA offering online activities to keep community connected amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Here’s How PAMA is Keeping Kids and Families Entertained During COVID-19
- Exciting Events Coming to Peel’s Culture Hub
- PAMA offering virtual activities to keep community connected amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Region providing money to residents who want to build basement apartments in Mississauga
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Public Health says Mississauga and Brampton officially experiencing second wave of COVID-19 as new cases surpass 200 for second day in a row
- Ontario player wins Saturday’s $14.2 million Lotto 649 jackpot
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win