PHOTO: New temporary bike lane installed in Mississauga
With fewer people driving due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Mississauga is taking advantage of the lull in traffic to make life a little easier for cyclists and pedestrians—and with the weather getting a little warmer, the move couldn’t come at a better time.
Recently, the city announced that a new “active transportation lane” is open on Glen Erin Dr. between Britannia Rd. W. and Aquitaine Ave.
The lane will give local walkers, runners and cyclists additional space to practise physical distancing while outside.
Our second temporary active transportation lane is open on Glen Erin Dr between Britannia Rd West and Aquitaine Ave. It gives local walkers, runners & cyclists the space to practise physical distancing while out for exercise or essentials like groceries & medical appointments. pic.twitter.com/qZBVE8SgRu— City of Mississauga (@citymississauga) May 1, 2020
The lane is the second of its kind in the city. Last week, temporary bike lanes were installed on King St. in Cooksville
Earlier this month, city council started talking about the possibility of temporarily converting live lanes (or at least part of live lanes) of traffic into bicycle lanes.
More temporary lanes could be created in the coming days and weeks.
Photo courtesy of the City of Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Temporary bike lane installed on street in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: More bike and pedestrian lanes opening up in Mississauga
- Mississauga increasing bike lanes by 30 per cent across the city
- Motorists can expect 3 months of 'minor delays' as City of Hamilton completes bike lane project
- Oakville nearing completion on first fully protected bike lanes on Speers Road
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- Hudson's Bay may be in 'shirt' over a taboo typo in Canada
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga