Pharmacies in Mississauga have second vaccine dose appointments for now
While a frustrated public has been trying to secure a second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine without traveling outside of Mississauga, local pharmacies have stepped-up to get customers the desired shot in the arm.
When the Ontario government opened its online vaccine booking portal on Monday, Peel Region residents had a difficult time booking a second dose nearby. Most trying to book online were told the vaccine was available in communities as far as 100 km away.
However, several people report that local pharmacies came to the rescue through constant contact with customers who they had previously supplied with the first dose.
"No luck with the online booking system, but success at my local pharmacy," said Ronnie Johnson via Twitter who was able to book Moderna for his second dose.
Similar reports on social media indicate that pharmacies kept customers up-to-date on vaccine supply and messaged people when an opening was available.
"Tried for hours trying to book my vaccine online," said another Twitter user. "My pharmacy just called and now I am booked for this weekend."
Spokesperson for the Provincial government said Ontario's booking system allows vaccines to be booked anywhere in the province which has caused confusion for those who were trying to get an appointment in their hometowns.
The spokesperson said that pharmacies have been receiving their own supplies and have been operating their systems separately.
"We recommend that people get their vaccine at whatever location is available to them," the spokesperson said. "The goal is to get as many Ontario residents vaccinated as soon as possible."
- 18 and older in Mississauga and Brampton can book a vaccine in some pharmacies
- Mississauga, Brampton residents now have to wait only 28 days to get second dose of COVID vaccine
- Today more Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton residents now eligible to book accelerated second vaccine dose
- Some pharmacies in Hamilton are offering the Moderna vaccine for 18 plus
- Forget about it. Second dose vaccine spots all booked up at Mississauga, Brampton clinics
- Special weather statement: Heavy rainfall in Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- New go-karting track opening in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- 100% of recent Mississauga and Brampton COVID patients not fully vaccinated