Peel Public Health confirms first case of COVID-19 in Mississauga
The coronavirus has officially made its way to Canada’s sixth-most populated city.
Today, Peel Public Health announced the first confirmed case of the COVID-19 virus in Mississauga.
The affected individual is a 60-year-old resident of Mississauga. He is currently in stable condition, and recovering at home in self-isolation.
Our Public Health team today confirmed the first positive case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Peel Region. The affected individual, a Mississauga resident in his 60s, is well and recovering in self-isolation at home. pic.twitter.com/EkNHup1tRN— Region of Peel (@regionofpeel) March 5, 2020
The individual was aboard the Grand Princess Cruise Ship that left from San Fransico from February 11-21, and he returned to Canada February 28.
In order to prevent further spread of the virus, Peel Public Health has launched an investigation into where he went and who he came into contact with during his period of communicability.
“Given the global spread of this virus over the last few weeks, a case in Peel was anticipated and pre-emptive measures were in place for exactly this type of situation,” Jessica Hopkins, Medical Officer of Health for the Region of Peel, said in a news release.
“This case contracted the illness outside of our Region and there remains no community spread to date of COVID-19. In this case, the system worked as intended and through coordinated efforts with our partners, the risk to Peel citizens remains low,” she continued.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious Koliba Park in Mississauga
- Waste service changes coming to Mississauga amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- Peel Public Health says people who visited Peel Tim Hortons location not at heightened risk of COVID-19 exposure
- Peel public health continues taking safety measures amid COVID-19 concerns
- BREAKING: Peel Public Health reports region's first COVID-19 related death
- BREAKING: New coronavirus case reported in Peel
- Peel Public Health investigates after local workplace exposed to coronavirus