Peel police report four drug-related deaths in 24 hours
Police are warning residents to be cautious after responding to four potentially drug-related deaths in Brampton and Mississauga in a 24-hour period.
“Peel Regional Police want to make the community aware of the unpredictable nature of illicit narcotics that contain combinations that are posing additional risk to public safety, namely drug overdoses,” Peel police said in a news release.
“In the last 24 hours, there have been four deaths in the Region of Peel, possibly related to illicit drug use.”
Police say drugs could contain combinations of narcotics, including heroin, cocaine, carfentanil and fentanyl.
“This process makes the combination drugs unpredictable and increasingly life-threatening for users,” police said.
“Peel Regional Police is committed to preserving life by making efforts to remove these drugs from the streets, keeping them out of the hands of unsuspecting users, and honouring the ‘Good Samaritan Act.’ This act encourages individuals to assist a victim in distress without fear of punishment.”
Police are urging anyone who witnesses an overdose or adverse reaction to call 9-1-1 immediately.
Someone may have overdosed if they:
- Can’t stay awake, walk or talk
- Are breathing slowly or not at all
- Have a limp body
Other signs of overdose include:
- Not responding to noise or knuckles being rubbed hard on their breastbone
- Snoring or gurgling sounds
- Pale or blue skin - especially on their nail beds and lips - and they feel cold
- Tiny pupils (pinpoint) or their eyes are rolled back
Peel Regional Police officers are equipped with Naloxone.
Participating Ontario pharmacies also offer free injectable and nasal spray naloxone kits. You don’t need a prescription to get a kit.
The pharmacist will train you on how to recognize an opioid overdose and explain how to use the naloxone kit, information on a free kit.
Anyone with information in relation to the production and sale of illicit narcotics is urged to call the Vice, Narcotics, and Street Level Organized Crime Unit at (905)453-2121, ext.3515.
- Peel Police Warning Mississauga Residents To Beware of Dangerous Substance
- Peel Police Cleared in Man's Naloxone-Related Death in Mississauga
- Police say laced drugs could be a factor in deaths of three men in Mississauga condo
- Mississauga Man Arrested in Drug Trafficking Investigation
- Fentanyl-Related Deaths Increasing in Mississauga
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- PHOTOS: Swans rescued following oil spill at Credit River in Mississauga
- A new and terrifying scam can steal your phone number and clear your bank accounts in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Authorities cleaning up oil spill in the Credit River in Mississauga