Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says a Peel Regional Police officer who was allegedly involved in the shooting death of 62-year-old Ejaz Choudry is refusing to be interviewed. The officer has not yet submitted a copy of his notes, either.
The SIU says the subject officer is acting within his rights.
In a recent news release, the SIU said its investigation into the circumstances surrounding Choudry's death is ongoing.
Choudry, who was fatally shot after police were called to his Malton apartment to conduct a wellness check on June 20, 2020, was reportedly in crisis at the time of the incident.
Choudry's family said he suffered from schizophrenia.
The SIU says that while the fieldwork has been "substantially completed," the investigation remains open pending receipt of additional information including evidence from counsel for Choudry's family.
As of today, six investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
The nine police officers who were designated as witness officers have been interviewed.
The SIU says investigators have collected a police-issued firearm, a conducted energy weapon and an Anti-Riot Weapon ENfield, as well as evidence associated with those weapons. A knife was also recovered from the scene.
The knife and firearm were sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis.
The SIU says a post-mortem examination was conducted on June 22, 2020, and that it is awaiting that report as well as the results of toxicological analysis. SIU investigators have also interviewed civilian witnesses and obtained video footage.
The SIU says interviews with Choudry's family members have not yet been conducted. It also says it has requested that a medical release be signed by family so that investigators can access relevant medical records.
- Peel Regional Police Chief addresses shooting death of Ejaz Choudry
- UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
- Investigation into police-involved shooting of woman in Mississauga almost complete: SIU
- Public funeral service for Ejaz Choudry being held in Mississauga
- Family of 62-year-old Mississauga man who died after police shooting call for inquiry
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Vehicle leaves scene after striking pedestrian in Mississauga
- Top 5 Chicken on the Rocks in Mississauga
- Three OPP officers charged following allegations of preferential treatment for GTA tow operators
- Police won’t be stopping and questioning people while stay-at-home order is in effect