Peel opens emergency child care centres amid COVID-19 outbreak to support health care and frontline workers
The Region of Peel is partnering with licensed child care providers in collaboration with the Ontario government, to deliver free emergency child care to health care and frontline workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Emergency child care is being offered at licensed centres across Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon, located close to Peel hospitals.
Some of these centres will offer child care 24 hours a day, seven days a week to eligible parents with children ages 12 and under.
A list of available child care centres in Peel will also be posted on the Province's website as of April 6, 2020.
Due to limited spaces, the Region is prioritizing front-line health care workers and first responders in this initial phase.
The Region of Peel will continue to work with licensed child care providers to expand the delivery of free emergency child care based on demand.
"In partnership with the Province, we are proud to support our residents who are working on the front-line of this pandemic so that they can continue to provide essential care and support to those who need it most," said Olivia Nunes, Acting Director, Early Years and Child Care Services at the Region of Peel.
"In order to meet the demand from our residents, we are in the process of opening additional emergency child care sites in Peel. We will continue to assess and expand this service where possible."
The Region has an online application for eligible families to request emergency child care and the applications will be reviewed by Regional staff. Applicants will receive a response within 72 hours.
For information on eligibility criteria, click here.
To help limit the spread COVID-19, Peel Public Health is directing safety and screening processes in emergency licensed child care centres and enhanced measures will aim to protect the health and safety of children, parents and staff.
For more information about emergency child care services in Peel, please visit peelregion.ca/coronavirus/childcare/.
- Ontario to keep some child care centres open to help health care workers
- Child care centre for children of front line workers opening in Mississauga
- Ontario to offer emergency child care to more frontline staff amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Province preventing child care centres from collecting payment during COVID-19
- Ontario government extends free child care to grocery, pharmacy workers
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- House of the Week: $5.9 mil contemporary stunner in Cooksville
- PHOTOS: Massive $50,000,000 mansion with gold-lining is for sale in Mississauga
- Newly-released data indicates that Mississauga is a hotspot for COVID-19
- House of the Week: $2 mil home with gorgeous, upgraded interior