Peel eliminating School Resource Officer program
Peel Regional Police (PRP) has announced it will not be bringing back the School Resource Officer (SRO) program.
Earlier this year, the program was paused due to the fact the program had not changed over the last 20 years and was therefore in need of review.
Upon review, it was decided the program will not resume largely due to concerns related to systemic racism, and the disproportionately punitive effects this type of traditional programming can produce.
With the help of a community-facing committee, PRP determined the program caused a negative impact on segments of our student population, and as a result, the program will be dissolved.
However, PRP does intend to continue working with the community regarding student engagement programming.
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- Overspending results in budget increase request for affordable transit program by Peel staff
- Student groups urging feds to reallocate funding from WE Charity program to the CESB
- Ontario Launching New Program for Black Youth
- A timeline of the controversy around WE, the Liberals and a student program
- Mississauga man still shocked over big lotto win
- Peel’s top doctor says Mississauga’s lockdown could work in short-term, says more needs to be done long-term to address spread
- Employees at Mississauga Shoppers Drug Mart test positive for COVID-19
- Police responding to reports of man in crisis in Mississauga
- Police looking for missing 22 year old Mississauga man