Patios are allowed to open in Mississauga and Brampton starting this weekend

By

Published March 19, 2021 at 10:13 pm

patio

Good news for Mississauga and Brampton residents: If you want to take advantage of the gorgeous weather with some outdoor dining, you’ll be able to very soon.

The province has confirmed that restaurants and bars in Peel and Toronto will be allowed to open their patios to customers starting on Saturday, March 20.

More specifically, establishments will be able to serve people from the same household outdoors, with proper distancing and safety measures in effect. Businesses will also have to post visible signs outdoors stating their maximum occupancy.

Mayor Bonnie Crombie thanked the province for allowing restaurants to open for patio dining.

“We know the incredible toll these lockdowns have had on our restaurant industry and I hope these new measures provide immediate relief to many of our small business owners,” Crombie said.

“I also hope that these new measures provide some relief to residents, as we know that even the small things, like being able to grab a bite to eat on a patio with your immediate household, are so important to overall wellbeing.”

This adjustment to the grey-lockdown restrictions comes shortly after Premier Doug Ford said in his Friday morning press conference that he would meet with his cabinet to discuss amending restrictions in Toronto and Peel.

Dr. Lawrence Loh, the Peel Region Medical Officer of Health, had mentioned he would support the changes to the grey zone.

Despite the allowance of patio dining, indoor dining is still off the table as Mississauga and Brampton remain under lockdown for the foreseeable future.

Additionally, for cities/regions in the red and orange zones, the province will begin to allow dining inside of restaurants at up to 50 per cent capacity (a maximum of 50 people in red zones and 100 people in orange zones).

Previously, a maximum of 10 people were allowed inside red zone restaurants and 50 people were allowed inside orange zone restaurants.

“While some regions are proceeding to levels with less restrictive measures and adjustments are being made to dining capacity, everyone must continue to adhere to all public health and workplace safety measures,” said Dr. David Williams said, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health.

“We have entered the third wave of the pandemic and the rates of variants of concern continue to rise so it is important that people remain cautious and vigilant in order to minimize the transmission of COVID-19 and protect themselves and their communities.”

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising