Parks Canada suspends camping until end of May
Published April 16, 2020 at 12:17 am
In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada is suspending camping at national parks locations.
Until at least May 31, all camping, group activities, and events at national parks, national historic sites, heritage canals and national marine conservation are suspended.
As well, currently suspended services, including visitor services, vehicle access for visitors, and the closure of visitor facilities remain suspended indefinitely.
- All visitor services, including reception, information, lockage and mooring are suspended until further notice;
- All visitor facilities, including parking lots, washrooms, day use areas and visitor centres are closed until further notice;
- All camping facilities including backcountry camping, oTENTiks, and other roofed accommodations remain closed until further notice;
- All events, group and interpretive activities are cancelled until at least May 31, 2020;
- Parks Canada will not be taking new reservations until at least June 1, 2020. All existing reservations set to take place prior to May 31, 2020, will be automatically cancelled and refunded in full.
However, despite the pandemic, Parks Canada will continue to provide vital services, which include: highway maintenance, fire response, dam operations and water management on historic waterways, avalanche control, among others.
“The Government of Canada is asking Canadians to stay home and help limit the spread of COVID-19. Parks Canada is taking these additional measures to help keep people safe,” Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, said in a news release.
“Like all Canadians, I love our national parks and historic sites, but at this time we must all continue to do our part to flatten the curve, look out for one another, and make choices that will help reduce the pressure on our health care system,” he continued.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!