Pair from Brampton hit with over a dozen charges after weekend shooting
Published February 15, 2023 at 3:48 pm
Police have seized a loaded handgun and charged a man and a woman from Brampton after a shooting on the weekend.
Just before 10:00 p.m. on Sunday (Feb. 12), Peel Regional Police say officers were called to the area of Skegby Rd. and Carter Dr. in Brampton for reports of a shooting.
Police say a loaded .22 calibre handgun was found and seized during the investigation, and that the incident was the “result of an altercation.”
No injuries were reported but police say a 29-year-old man and a 37-year-old woman, both from Brampton, have been charged.
Menelik Edwards, 29, of Brampton has been charged with:
- Discharge Firearm
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
- Careless Use of Firearm, Prohibited device or ammunition
- Point Firearm
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose
- Fail to Comply with Release Order
- Careless Use of Firearm
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Possession of Opioid
Police say Edwards was bound by a court-issued release order at the time of his arrest, with one of the conditions not to possess weapons.
Rebecca Greene, 37, of Brampton has been charged with:
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Possession of an Unauthorized Firearm
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle Knowing there was a Firearm
- Possession of a Prohibited Device Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Both persons were held pending a bail hearing and appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.
Anyone with any information on this incident is asked to contact Peel Regional Police at 905-453-2121 ext. 2233. Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising