Over 100,000 COVID-19 vaccinations have been administered in Ontario
Today (Saturday, January 9), Health Minister Christine Elliott marked a milestone of 100,000 COVID-19 vaccinations in Ontario.
Elliott says thousands of vaccinations are being administered every day to the province’s most vulnerable residents and those who care for them.
“As we continue to vaccinate thousands of Ontarians every day, we urge everyone to follow public health advice to protect yourself and your community,” she said.
However, Premier Doug Ford recently stated that the province’s vaccine supply is running low and believes most hospitals will run out of the vaccine by next week if no new shipments arrive.
Scheduled vaccination appointments could be cancelled as a result.
"We need vaccines," said Ford during his media briefing on Friday. "I know the federal government is trying, they are trying their best, but we need them."
At this time, the federal government has approved two COVID-19 vaccines: The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the Moderna vaccine, both of which have begun distribution in Ontario.
Vulnerable residents (such as those living in long-term care homes) and front line workers are currently being prioritized, with plans to increase distribution during a later phase of the vaccine rollout.
Photo courtesy of The Canadian Press
- Province to accelerate vaccinations for vulnerable residents in Brampton and Mississauga
- Hamilton to begin bringing COVID-19 vaccine to residents at long-term care and high-risk homes
- 50,000 doses of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine expected to arrive in Ontario today
- Province completes vaccinations of long-term care facilities ahead of schedule
- Province distributing COVID-19 vaccine to 17 additional sites across Ontario
- Subway can press $210-million defamation suit against CBC for show on chicken content
- 121 workers at Mississauga's Gateway postal facility test positive for COVID-19
- York Region shares list of box stores fined over violations of COVID-19 rules
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga
- Man reportedly threatening to shoot people in building in Mississauga: Police