Outdoor Theatre Performance Coming to Mississauga
Since summer won't be with us forever, it's best to make the mosts of it by enjoying as many outdoor activities as humanly possible—especially less orthodox and more unique ones.
If you're a big theatre aficionado—or you just like spending time outside—you might want to check out a production of William Shakespeare classic Othello outdoors this weekend in Mississauga (who says you have to travel to the lovely town of Stratford to enjoy very classic theatre?).
The Driftwood Theatre production, held in partnership with Visual Arts Mississauga (VAM) and The Riverwood Conservancy, will take place in Riverwood Park on Saturday, Aug. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
The production, part of Driftwood's Theatre Under the Stars program, has been part of The Bard's Bus Tour since July 14 (the last performance will take place on Aug. 13). The acclaimed play has hit parks in Kingston, Peterborough, Cobourg and Port Perry and admission is either free or pay-what-you-can (the Mississauga production is free to attend).
In case you've forgotten all about high school English, Othello is Shakespeare's "blistering tale of race, jealousy and revenge set against the backdrop of Canadian history, when in 1974 Canadian soldiers are caught in a life or death struggle on the small island of Cyprus" (those are Driftwood's words, because I have most certainly forgotten the finer points of Othello).
Driftwood says that, with a site-specific aesthetic incorporating public space, no two performances of Othello will be quite the same and that all performances are accompanied by a special audio installation.
Photo courtesy of Driftwood Theatre’s Facebook page
- Extremely Unique, First-of-its-Kind Production Headed to Mississauga
- Sheridan theatre students perform opening number from musical despite self-isolating
- Massive theatre and entertainment complex coming to Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- An Iconic Musical Production is Coming to Mississauga
- You Can Now Get Movie Theatre Popcorn Delivered to Your Home in Mississauga
- New rules regarding children in leash-free zones and smoking in parks are now in effect in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: New platform and pavilion now open at a Mississauga GO Station
- House of the Week: $3.8 mil Sheridan home luxurious features
- Staff member tests positive for COVID-19 at Mississauga retirement home
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of September 21 to 26