Oshawa smashing building permit records with months to spare
Published September 23, 2022 at 11:29 am
With a third of the year still to go Oshawa has already smashed its building permit record and is on pace to double last year’s numbers.
Year-to-date the City has issued $779 million in building permit value. The previous record was set in 2017 with $614 million.
“This incredible year of construction continues to demonstrate the rapid pace of investment and economic momentum”, said Oshawa Mayor Dan Carter. “We’ve seen billions of dollars invested in recent years and thousands of new jobs created from major international companies, which has been especially impressive during an unprecedented global pandemic and further establishes Oshawa as one of the best places to live, learn, work and invest.”
August, in particular, has been impressive with numerous records set, including:
- Highest August for number of permits issued (240 permits surpassing 2006 record of 113)
- Highest August total construction value of $261,202,200 (Surpassing record of $128,227,500 set in 2019)
- Highest August residential construction value of $256,371,200 (Surpassing record of $72,520,900 set in 2019)
- Highest August for residential units created (807 units surpassing the 1976 record of 389)
- Highest August for number of accessory apartments created (28 units surpassing 2020 record of 11)
- Highest August for number of apartments created (657 units surpassing the 2009 record of 214)
- Residential construction value is four times higher compared to last year
Oshawa has kept monthly building records since 1965, while yearly records date back to 1964.