Ontario to Start Providing More Transitional Surgeries for Transgender Residents
Trans and gender-diverse residents might be relieved to hear that important transitional surgeries are about to become more accessible in Ontario.
Recently, Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, spoke out on the subject (during Pride month, fittingly enough).
“For some trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario, transition-related surgeries are necessary," Dr. Hoskins said in a statement. "Every person has the right to be who they are. Our health care system should reflect and support this, which is why our government is continuing its work to improve access to transition-related surgeries."
Hoskins said the province is working with a number of health care partners, including Women’s College Hospital, Rainbow Health Ontario, a program of Sherbourne Health Centre and more to increase access to insured transition-related surgeries.
Going forward, Ontario is increasing access to top surgery (surgery to make one's chest more reflective of the gender they're transitioning to). The province will also be providing in-province genital surgery for the first time in 2018, making Ontario the second jurisdiction in Canada to provide access to this type of procedure.
Since trans rights and issues have been very top of mind, the timing couldn't be more appropriate.
"This will build on our ongoing efforts to better support trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario. Last year, we expanded access to referrals for transition-related surgeries, which led to many more people receiving more timely referrals for the insured surgery they need. However, we know there is more work to be done," says Dr. Hoskins."
"I believe that acceptance, respect and diversity are our province’s most cherished strengths. Our government is committed to ensuring that everyone in Ontario receives high quality care and that they are treated ethically, equitably and fairly.”
- Police Remind Residents Not to Call 911 on Ice Cream Trucks
- Driver Arrested After Crashing into Tree in Mississauga
- Two Crashes Causing Injuries and Road Closures in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $2.5 Mil Modern Home With Stunning Yard and Kitchen
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning Now in Effect for Mississauga
- You Can Now Find Wait Times Info Online for Surgeries and Procedures
- Here's How the Ontario Government is Improving Mental Health and Addiction Services Across the Province
- Ontario Could Create Gender-Neutral Birth Certificates
- Province Launches Strategy to End Gender-Based Violence in Ontario
- New Dental Care Program Announced for Ontario's Seniors