Ontario schools account for significant number of new COVID-19 cases
Despite the fact Peel Region and Toronto are in lockdown, and Hamilton, Waterloo, Durham, Halton and York are facing stricter regulations, the number of new COVID-19 cases remains high.
According to the Ontario Health Coalition (OHC), between October 31 and November 18, the number of people infected in workplace outbreaks far exceeds the general community spread of the virus in the following workplace sectors: construction; schools and daycares; retail, restaurants and entertainment; and public services.
The number of cases in schools has increased by 1,865 cases for a cumulative total of 4,265 cases among students and education workers, as well 639 cases in childcare settings--this represents an 86.9-per-cent increase, the largest increase among workplace sectors.
The sector that saw the second-largest increase was retail, restaurants and entertainment, which saw cases increase by 71.65 per cent; followed by public services, which saw cases increase by 39.14 per cent.
Based on these findings, the number of work-place related cases has increased by 39.74 per cent in non-health-care settings during this three-week period.
Additionally, during the week of November 18, 35.4 per cent of new cases couldn't be traced back to a source.
The number of cases with an unknown source of exposure has continued to increase during the second wave, as Public Health Units in hotspots have been unable to keep up with contact tracing.
- COVID-19: Ontario sets record in number of new cases, 111 of those in Peel
- Ontario reports 550 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day increase so far
- Peel Region again has the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario
- Ontario reports 401 new COVID-19 cases, highest daily increase since early June
- Cases in Mississauga and Brampton push Peel Region COVID number to record high
- Drugs found at kids playland as 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Fido and Rogers report Canada-wide service disruptions
- Police on scene in Brampton after man found with serious injuries, sources say gunplay suspected
- Here's where the new Automated Speed Enforcement cameras are in Mississauga