Ontario reports 1,631 new COVID cases, 322 in Peel
TORONTO -- Ontario is reporting 1,631 new cases of COVID-19 today and 10 additional deaths linked to the virus.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says 568 of the new cases are in Toronto, 322 are in Peel Region, and 119 are in York Region.
Ontario says 994 more cases were resolved since the last daily update.
The numbers come as a stay-at-home order in Toronto, Peel Region and North Bay lifts today, loosening pandemic restrictions imposed nearly two months ago.
The three regions were the last ones still under the order, and are transitioning back to the government's colour-coded pandemic response framework.
Toronto and Peel entered the strictest "grey lockdown" category, something local public health officials asked for in both regions.
Even those strict measures, however, allow more retailers to open, with restrictions, but leave gyms and personal care services closed. Restaurants, meanwhile, can only offer takeout, drive-thru or delivery.
Some restaurant owners said they won't be able to survive much longer unless they're allowed to reopen for on-site dining, even at limited capacity.
"Move us to the red zone (of the pandemic system) so we have a fighting chance. Even 14 days in grey lockdown could mean the end of my business and many others," Regan Irvine, owner of the Irv Gastropub in Toronto, said in an open letter to officials issued last week.
"Over the last year, my mother and I have depleted our life savings to try and keep the restaurant afloat. We have cashed RRSPs, drained savings accounts, maxed out credit cards and maxed out lines of credit because the government assistance programs simply aren't enough."
North Bay is now in the "red zone," the second most restrictive level of pandemic measures.
Elliott said the government is taking a "safe and cautious approach" to ending the provincewide shutdown, which started in January.
The Canadian Press
- Stay-at-home order lifts today in Mississauga and Brampton
- Peel Region reports 182 new cases of COVID-19 today
- Ontario reports 2,123 new cases of COVID-19, 480 in Peel
- Ontario reports 1,058 new cases of COVID-19, 215 new cases in Peel
- Ontario reports 1,072 new cases of COVID-19, less than 200 in Peel
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car
- 7 ways we can crush COVID in Mississauga and Brampton