Ontario reports 119 new COVID-19 cases, eight new cases found in Mississauga
Ontario is reporting 119 new cases of COVID-19 today, and one new death related to the novel coronavirus.
According to Peel Public Health, eight new cases have been recorded in Mississauga as of July 27.
Eight new cases have also been reported in Brampton.
According to Peel Public Health, a total of 6,724 cases have been reported in the region since the start of the pandemic.
As of July 27, 316 deaths have been reported among Peel residents.
The total number of cases in Ontario now stands at 38,799, which includes 2,764 deaths and 34,461 resolved cases.
There were 102 new resolved cases reported today.
The provincial government says it was able to complete more than 24,664 tests the previous day.
It also says 82 people are in hospital because of the virus, including 30 people in intensive care and 18 on ventilators.
The province notes several hospitals did not submit data over the weekend and there will likely be an increase in numbers when they do.
Meanwhile, the number of kids in child-care centres is allowed to increase across Ontario today as the province continues its gradual reopening.
The Ministry of Education had previously limited the number of people per room in a daycare to 10 in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
As of today, a maximum of 15 children -- plus staff members -- will be allowed in each "cohort."
The groups of children must stay together throughout the program for at least seven days, and cannot mix with kids in different cohorts.
While a government document offering operational guidance says staff members are no longer included in the size of the cohort, it notes that staff should not rotate between groups. It says supervisors should "limit their movement between rooms, doing so when absolutely necessary."
The ministry says infants are excluded from the increased capacity, because they've never been allowed to be in groups of more than 10.
The Canadian Press
With files from insauga.com
- Child-care centres across Ontario can expand capacity today
- 135 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario, seven new cases found in Mississauga
- Ontario reports nearly 6,000 new COVID-19 cases over two-day span, 533 new cases reported in Peel
- Province says 269 new COVID-19 cases in Peel Region today
- 287 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 2,031 total cases found in Mississauga
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- The controversial aircraft built and destroyed in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- 16 flights landing with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga most since February
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?