Ontario hits 150 COVID-19 cases in intensive care, 361 new cases reported in Peel
TORONTO -- Ontario now has 150 COVID-19 patients in its intensive care units - a key threshold that government projections have indicated could lead to cancelled surgeries.
The head of the Ontario Hospital Association said Thursday that the province hit that figure as all regions were reporting a rise in admissions.
"As of this morning there are now 150 patients in ICU with COVID-19 related conditions," Anthony Dale tweeted.
Dr. Michael Warner, the medical director of critical care at Michael Garron Hospital in Toronto, said the province's ICUs hit the number five days earlier than the government had projected earlier this month.
"This means we're going to have to limit access to non-COVID-related care, cancel cancer surgeries, cancel hip replacements, knee replacements," he said. "We don't want to do this. We can't do this, people will die if we do this."
The news comes as Premier Doug Ford and his cabinet are poised to consider new measures, including lockdowns, for the province's COVID-19 hot spots.
Ford said Wednesday that further restrictions are needed because hospitals are reaching capacity. He said he expects to announce the new measures for Toronto, Peel, and York Region on Friday.
Warner urged the premier not to delay introducing the measures.
"Premier Ford, if you're going to make a move, let's make it today," he said. "Let's not announce it tomorrow to be implemented Monday. We need to keep the health care system accessible to all patients, whether they have COVID or not."
Ontario reported 1,210 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, and 28 new deaths due to the virus.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said 361 cases are in Peel Region, 346 are in Toronto, and 143 are in York Region.
The Canadian Press
- Ontario sees 805 new COVID-19 cases amid new restrictions at York Region care homes
- Province says 269 new COVID-19 cases in Peel Region today
- Ontario to unveil new COVID-19 hot spot rules, possible lockdowns, to fight virus
- Ontario reports 1,890 new COVID-19 cases today, 471 in Peel
- Ontario reporting 827 new cases of COVID-19 today, 169 new cases in Peel
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- House of the Week: $2.2 mil Sheridan home with stunning backyard
- 49 fines issued for travellers refusing COVID-19 test at Mississauga's Pearson Airport; Peel police won't issue further fines
- Roadway shut down after pedestrian struck by vehicle, seriously injured in Mississauga