Ontario Government To Invest $1.3 Million To Make Buildings More Accessible
The Ontario government, along with the Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility, will be trying to make buildings in Ontario more accessible.
Earlier this month, the government stated that they will be investing $3 million for the Seniors Community Grant Program to provide grants to non-profit community organizations and deliver local programs for seniors. Community groups could apply for grants from $1,000 up to $25,000 starting May 17 to June 27.
More recently, they announced that they will be making communities and buildings more accessible for seniors and people with disabilities.
The Ford government will be investing $1.3 million over the next two years. The government is partnering up with the Rick Hansen Foundation, which is a foundation by Rick Hansen to erase physical barriers in the community.
Minister for Seniors and Accessibility Raymond Cho and Hansen spoke at the MaRS Discovery District today to launch the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification program. The certification program will provide accessibility ratings for businesses and public buildings by trained professionals. It will also help owners determine ways to remove physical barriers.
The Rick Hansen Foundation will provide ratings for 250 facilities in select communities across Ontario, which have not been identified yet.
“We are working to ensure people with disabilities have the support and resources they need to participate more fully in their communities, as consumers and employees. Being accessible benefits businesses and communities and opens them up to qualified talent and more customers,” said Cho.
Organizations that are rated will get a confidential scorecard rating and report of improvements for their facility.
“The $1.3 million will go a long way in providing meaningful access to buildings and communities, and will help make Ontario more inclusive where people with disabilities are living to their full potential,” said Hansen.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $2 mil family home with impressive kitchen
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Ice from other vehicle shatters windshield in Mississauga
- Armed suspects flee attempted bank robbery in Mississauga
- Ontario government making businesses more accessible in Mississauga
- Here's Why The Ontario Government Is Consulting with Seniors and Caregivers In Mississauga
- Provincial government pledges to make Mississauga schools more accessible
- Government creates new dental care program for seniors in Mississauga
- New Dental Care Program Announced for Ontario's Seniors