Ontario Government Launches School Renovation Program
The provincial government has announced today a new method of providing funding for education in Ontario.
Monday, July 22 marks the launch of the 2019-20 Capital Priorities program, which reportedly aims to provide school boards with the opportunity to access funding for large-scale projects.
School boards in every region of the province can now apply for funding for capital projects, including new school buildings or renovations, to be completed by 2023 or 2024.
According to the government, the program will also provide funding for school-based child care spaces as part of the government’s plan to build up to 10,000 new child care spaces in schools.
“We are investing in our students and their futures by building new schools and renovating existing schools because I believe better schools mean better learning environments for the next generation,” said Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education.
“This government is taking decisive action to ensure students have safe and modern learning environments that enable their success in the classroom, in life, and in the labour market.”
The announcement was made Monday morning from Dolson Public School in Brampton.
Lecce also reaffirmed the government’s commitment to updating the school curriculum, with a major emphasis on financial literacy and STEM, in the hopes of helping students more easily land a job after finishing school.
To read the full statement, click here.
What are your thoughts on this new program?
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak affecting staff members at Mississauga Hospital
- Pizza Pizza introducing new tamper-proof box
- Justin Trudeau says we won’t return to complete normalcy until a vaccine is produced
- Close to 500 new cases of COVID-19 found in Ontario, over 400 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- Robbers escape by air after stealing gold bars from Canadian mine in Mexico
- Group urging government to provide funding for school food program
- Ontario Government Introduces First-Ever "First Nations Studies" High School Curriculum
- Ontario to provide financial assistance during school and child care closures amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Peel District School Board Concerned About New Private School Lobbying Group
- Ontario government providing funding for mental health programs in Mississauga