Ontario extends emergency orders until May

in
 

The province is extending all emergency orders that have been put in place under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act until May 6, 2020, in a bid to help curb the spread of COVID-19. 

This extension includes the closure of outdoor amenities in parks and recreational areas, non-essential workplaces, public places, and bars and restaurants. The orders, which also include restrictions on social gatherings, will also limit staff members from working in more than one retirement home or long-term care home.

Earlier this month, the province said it would also be extending the ongoing state of emergency until May 12, 2020.

“We are making steady progress in our battle against this deadly virus, but we are not out of the woods by a long shot. It is absolutely necessary to extend these emergency orders to continue keeping all Ontarians safe and healthy,” said Premier Doug Ford in a statement. 

“Every effort made by each of us to stay home, practise physical distancing and wash your hands has been, and will continue to be, the key to stopping the spread of this virus.”

In addition, the government says it has introduced a new measure to allow mental health and addictions agencies to redeploy staff within different locations or between programs, and employ extra part-time staff, temporary staff or contractors in order to ensure people continue receiving care during the COVID-19 outbreak. 

Agencies would be required to provide appropriate training and education to achieve the purposes of a redeployment plan, the province says. 

For more information on emergency orders, click here.

Your Comments