Ontario economy reopening details coming next week: Labour minister
Published February 5, 2021 at 7:40 pm
TORONTO — Ontario is reporting 1,670 cases of COVID-19 today but 125 of them are older infections from Toronto that weren’t previously recorded by the province.
On Feb. 5, Health Minister Christine Elliott said that there are 667 new cases in Toronto, 317 in Peel, 125 in York Region and 100 in Halton.
Public health officials have said that updates to the provincial case database are causing fluctuations in this week’s tallies.
Ontario is also reporting 45 deaths linked to the virus.
The provincial government says that 62,700 tests were completed since the last daily update.
It also says that 7,694 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine were administered since the previous report.
A total of 362,749 doses of a vaccine have been administered in the province so far.
There have been 275,330 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario since the pandemic began, 253,170 of which have been resolved.
A total of 6,438 Ontarians have died from the novel coronavirus.
Menawhile, Ontario’s labour minister said Friday that Premier Doug Ford will announce details on reopening the province’s economy next week.
Monte McNaughton did not provide further specifics, but his comments come as the province’s current state of emergency is set to expire on Tuesday.
Ford and his cabinet are meeting Friday to discuss the government’s options surrounding the emergency order.
Ontario’s Solicitor General’s office says no decisions have been made regarding whether to end or extend the emergency order.
The Canadian PressInsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies