One of Mississauga's most highly-anticipated new developments is getting $500,000 in artwork
A half-million dollar commitment to public art in Mississauga has just been announced by a pair of local development groups.
Rogers Real Estate Development Ltd. and Urban Capital Property Group announced plans to commission new artwork for M City, an eight-tower, 15-acre, 4.3 million sq. ft. community being developed at Burhamthorpe Rd. and Confederation Pkwy.
“Our stated goal at M City has always been to develop a world-class community,” said Rogers vice president John Anderton. “We continue to work towards a community anchored by iconic design, public spaces and parkland.”
The $500,000 is a new contribution to the public art at the development. Previous initiatives at the site include the commissioning of new windscreen installations that will run the full length of the site along Burnhamthorpe. The final design for the windscreens will be revealed later this year, at the conclusion of an invitational design competition being led by the City.
“Public art is an important element of what makes Mississauga a vibrant, creative and innovative city,” said Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
“This contribution will stretch beyond the geographical limits of this new development; it will serve to inspire local artists and residents across the city and help us grow Mississauga’s thriving arts and culture community.”
M City has begun construction on three of the proposed eight towers, while the fourth, M4, launched for sales this spring. As part of this phase of construction, work will commence on the two acres of parkland slated for the community, as well as the extension of Mary Fix Creek walking trail via a new linear park.
The design includes extending existing city streets on a unique, angular plane to create a fine-grained network of blocks, enabling a pedestrian-friendly environment. Typical residential blocks will provide two-way roads with on-street parking, generous sidewalks and residential frontages.
For more information on M City visit mcitycondos.com.
- City breaks ground on what will become the tallest building in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Here’s What’s Happening with Mississauga’s Biggest Residential Development
- Is the Massive Rogers Condo Community in Mississauga Historic or Good Marketing?
- Huge New Condo Community Slated for City Centre Area in Mississauga
- Another Look at the Stunning Tower Coming to Mississauga
- Masks mandatory in Mississauga until end of September, some face coverings no longer permitted
- Get second dose as soon as you can Brampton, Mississauga residents urged
- Mayor wants Brampton, Mississauga residents to be able to get a hair cut sooner than scheduled
- Mississauga man murdered at Wasaga Beach, Brampton man one of two charged
- Breaking out in a mysterious rash? Mississauga's gypsy moth may be the problem