Oakville's Cyrus looking to lead Gauchos to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
Oakville March Madness fans will have someone local to root for when the annual NCAA Basketball Tournament begins later this week.
Oakville native Brandon Cyrus and his No. 12 seed UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (22-4) will look to upset the No. 5 Creighton Blue Jays (20-8) in their first-round West Region game, Saturday, at 3:30 p.m.
The six-foot-five, 190 lbs. senior forward, who graduated from La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind. and was a transfer from DePaul University, averaged 2.9 points, 1.8 rebounds and 0.8 assists this season for the Gauchos.
The 68-team tournament, which was cancelled last season because of the pandemic, officially kicks off Thursday with two First four- play-in games.
The championship game is scheduled for April 5.
The entire tournament this year will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana and surrounding areas.
UC SANTA BARBARA PHOTO
- Brampton's Blair looking to lead Hoyas to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Mississauga's Jack and Seminoles set for NCAA March Madness opener
- Milton's Lufile and Golden Eagles look to stun Buckeyes in NCAA March Madness opener
- Lufile and Golden Eagles off to Sweet 16 at NCAA Tournament
- Little Native Hockey League to Hold Tournament in Mississauga
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton