Niagara Region has just five new COVID-19 cases on Sunday – the lowest since early August

By

Published October 18, 2021 at 10:05 am

There were 24 new cases of COVID-19 in the Niagara Region over the weekend and while those numbers aren’t ideal, there were some encouraging signs.

Saturday (October 16) saw 19 new cases while Sunday had just five.

The last time the region saw numbers that low was August 24 when there were only four new cases. It’s been nearly two months.

The other encouraging signs was that with 17 resolved cases yesterday, it drops the existing cases in Niagara down to 155, again a low water mark the region hasn’t seen in a couple of months.

Once again, it was all the Delta variant as 15 per cent of the cases were absolutely the strain while the remaining 85 per cent were likely to be.

Also encouraging? Only five municipalities have double-digit caseloads. St Catharines is the highest with 57 while Niagara Falls, Grimsby, Welland and Fort Erie each had 21, 17, 15 and 10 cases respectively.

The remaining seven municipalities ranged between Pelham at zero and Thorold at nine.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising