Niagara Health opens up rules on visiting patients
Published July 29, 2021 at 3:06 pm
Niagara Health knows that it’s been stressful not being able to visit loved ones in the hospital for the past 16 months due to COVID-19 protocols.
So they’re opening the doors to visitors – with safety rules.
“We know how important visitors are to our patients who have been admitted to the hospital and are pleased to welcome you back,” said the health unit in a release.
However, they continued, “There are a number of infection prevention and control measures in place for everyone’s safety, and these measures must be followed throughout your visit.”
For traditional visits, the hours are 11 am to 8 pm with the following criteria:
- Only two people allowed at a patient’s bedside at any given time.
- Coordinate ahead of time with the patient and other visitors so that only two people are in the room at a time (including Essential Care Partners and Support Persons).
- Please stay in the patient room with your loved one for the duration of the visit.
- If you are waiting for another visit to finish, please wait outside the building or in your car.
- If you are switching with another visitor, we ask that you go outside to avoid confusion on the inpatient unit floor.
If you are visiting a family member in the Extended Care Unit, the hours are 9 am to 7 pm and you must follow all visiting guidelines implemented by the Ministry of Long Term Care.
For any Support Person who can accompany a patient and support them through the care they are receiving, they will come to the hospital with the patient and stay with them for their entire visit.
One Support Person may accompany a patient under the following rules:
- In our Emergency Departments or Urgent Care Centres (Updated July 19 to include all patients)
- To same-day appointments (updated July 26 to include all patients)
- For childbirth.
To learn more about guidelines for Support Persons, please call the unit directly where the patient is receiving care or call our Switchboard at 905-378-4647.
Insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies
REMINDER: For everyone’s safety, visitors must follow infection prevention and control measures while in the hospital.