Niagara Falls lights up in Habs’ colours and Leafs fans lose it
If you’re a die-hard hockey fan in Canada, you had to see this coming.
On June 13 from 9:30 to 10 pm, our side of Niagara Falls was backlit red, white and blue to honour the Montreal Canadiens, the sole remaining Canadian team in the NHL playoffs. This was the night before they would play (and lose 4-1 to) the Vegas Golden Knights.
That lead Twitter account Niagara Parks (@niagaraparks) to post this:
The post (thus far) quickly gained over 3,600 likes, 910 retweets and 340 quote tweets. The backlash from scorned Toronto Maple Leafs fans was immediate and oh-so-very salty. The chortling, chirping and cheers from the Habs fans on this honour from an Ontario landmark was equally predictable.
In support of the @CanadiensMTL's pursuit of the Stanley Cup, as Canada’s last remaining team in the 2021 @NHL playoffs, the Canadian Horseshoe Falls will be illuminated tonight in Red, White and Blue from 9:30 to 10:00pm., the night before the team begins its next series. pic.twitter.com/BzwmRgbCoc— Niagara Parks (@NiagaraParks) June 13, 2021
‘Peg’ noted dryly, “Yes. This is going to help them win so hard. Lit up water is so supportive.”
‘Goal Goalfilled’ was also none-too-impressed. “As an honest Leafs fan, are you serious?? Niagara Falls is part of Leafs territory. What are you guys doing? First the CN Tower, now this? That’s it, I’m no longer a Leafs fan and will never visit you guys.”
‘Blue Jays Fan’ was a little more succinct: “Please kill me.”
‘Hampyhamsy’ echoed the thoughts of more than a few Leafs fans: “Can’t wait for Vegas to incinerate that poor excuse of a team.”
Countless posters also pointed out that bordering the US, many on that side would likely see it as a tribute to America. ‘JohannesLods’ sarcastically tweeted: “Nothing says Canadian like Red, White & Blue!”
The post even drew in a hockey celebrity. Ten-year New York Islanders great Mike Bossy, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991, saw the post and tweeted: “What a nice gesture and what a sight!!!!! Who would have thought… Game One tonight.”
The post proved but one thing. While the NBA Raptors and the MLB Blue Jays are both considered “Canada’s Team,” it is because they are the only Canadian teams in their respective leagues.
But hockey is and always has been far more territorial. Diehard fans up here do not cheer for another team simply because they also exist in Canada. And after the Montreal Maroons folded in 1938, the two remaining Canadian teams at the time, the Leafs and Habs, have always been bitter rivals.
It’s the Canadian way.
- Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Argos team up to create special assistance fund for event staff
- Blue Jackets shut out Maple Leafs 3-0 to win series 3-2 and send Toronto packing
- Blue Jays OF says team may play in Pittsburgh or Baltimore
- Kerfoot scores twice, Leafs down Canadiens in exhibition play as NHL returns
- Leafs still have a chance to raise Stanley Cup in 2020
- Man shot in central Hamilton, street closed
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Brampton truck driver sentenced to prison after 2019 collision that killed three
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Suspect sought after carjacking in Mississauga