New statistics show Milton has grown 20% in five years
Published January 5, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Data recently released by Statistics Canada shows Milton’s population continues to surge.
The latest census information indicates Milton’s official population as of 2021 was 132,929, an increase of 20.7 per cent from 2016 when it was 110,128.
These numbers were determined through data gathered by Statistics Canada. The government agency released the results of different aspects of the most recent census throughout 2022.
Other population data shows that young people are starting to catch up with older members of society as those ages 10 to 14 years are now the second largest group at 12,050. The largest age group is 40 to 44 at 12,415.
Other significant data (as compiled by the Town of Milton):
- Milton is the fourth-most educated community in Canada with 64.6 per cent of the population holding a postsecondary certificate, diploma or degree. 50.3 per cent of people aged 25 to 64 hold a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 36.8 per cent in Ontario and 32.9 per cent in Canada. An increase of 15.3 per cent of population since 2016.
- STEM-educated (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) individuals with 27.5 per cent of people in Milton aged 25 to 64 have a postsecondary certificate, diploma or degree within this field. Engineering and engineering technology was largest category at 12.8 per cent.
- Business and administration is the largest field of study of Milton residents aged 25 to 64 with 26.1 per cent of the population holding this postsecondary major.
- 91.2 per cent of Milton residents commute by car, truck or van. Interestingly, the average commuting duration for the employed labour force has decreased by 5.7 minutes to an average duration of 29.3 minutes since 2016.
- 11.4 per cent more people are commuting within Milton since 2016
- Of the 32,670 labour force aged 15 years and over with a usual place of work commuting destination:
- 47.8 per cent commute outside of Halton Region, within Ontario
- 38.2 per cent commute within Milton
- 13.8 per cent commute outside of Milton but within Halton Region
- 0.2 per cent commute outside of the province