New requirements for international air travellers come into effect
The Canadian government has implemented new requirements for international travellers coming into the country.
As of 12 a.m. on Thursday (January 7), those coming into the country from abroad above the age of five must provide a negative laboratory test result for COVID-19 to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada.
Additionally, the test must be one of two types of COVID-19 tests--either a molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP)--and must be conducted within 72 hours of the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Further, all travellers must present their tests prior with the rest of their documents necessary for boarding their flight--anyone who fails to do so will not be permitted to board the plane.
“The COVID-19 pandemic is far from over. We need to continue to be vigilant, and we need to continue to take action to reduce the risks of spreading the virus by air travel. This new interim order will help protect Canadians and air travellers," Marc Garneau, Minister of Transportation, said in a news release.
"We continue to assess public health risks, as we to work to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Canada," he continued.
- Air Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart teaming up to provide COVID-19 tests for Canadian travellers
- Ottawa set to detail requirements of COVID-19 negative test for air travellers today
- Airlines, travellers slam ‘confusion’ created by new COVID-19 testing rules
- International travellers could soon be ineligible for Canada Recovery Benefits
- Toronto Pearson offering COVID-19 tests for international travelers arriving in Canada
- Man reportedly threatening to shoot people in building in Mississauga: Police
- Subway can press $210-million defamation suit against CBC for show on chicken content
- Ontario, Peel Region show drop in COVID cases today, but technical issues may be the reason
- Ontario ticket holder claims $1 million Maxmillion prize
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga