New mass vaccination centre opening in Mississauga
The Region of Peel just announced that it has partnered with The International Centre and the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) to open another large scale COVID-19 vaccination centre in Mississauga.
The International Centre, which will convert its conference hall space to a vaccination clinic, is located at 6900 Airport Rd. in Mississauga's Malton neighbourhood.
The region says multiple vaccination clinics will be opened in Peel with the goal of vaccinating at least 75 per cent of the hard-hit region's population as quickly and safely as possible.
"The International Centre is an excellent location for Mississauga residents to get vaccinated quickly and safely because of its size and access to public transit," said Mayor Bonnie Crombie in a statement.
"Once vaccine supply increases, Mississauga is ready to contribute to Peel Region's goal of vaccinating over 75 per cent of its residents. We all look forward to the day where COVID-19 is behind us, and we're happy to partner with The International Centre to help us get there."
The region says the International Centre offers a great deal of space for clinic operations, free parking and readily available transit options for residents. The International Centre is operated and owned by Rice Group and the GTAA and is being provided for use by the Region of Peel on a cost-recovery basis.
More vaccination clinics will eventually be open for the public on a by-appointment basis.
Last week, the region opened Mississauga's first mass vaccination centre at the University of Toronto—Mississauga campus.
The region says that broad communication on who will be vaccinated next, clinic dates and locations will be shared in different languages through a variety of ways, including the Region of Peel's website, social media platforms and print and digital channels.
"In order to reach the Region's 1.5 million residents, we need a broad, system-wide approach to creating spaces for clinic operations," said Dr. Lawrence Loh, Peel's Medical Officer of Health, in a statement.
"The International Centre will offer an excellent, large-scale opportunity for Peel residents as they get vaccinated for their own sake, but also to help protect their families and neighbours."
- Hamilton's FirstOntario Centre to be used as large-scale COVID-19 vaccination clinic
- Brampton Soccer Centre vaccination clinic can deliver 500 doses an hour
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Hamilton's large-scale vaccination clinic at FirstOntario Centre officially opens
- PHOTOS: A look inside a mass vaccination clinic in Mississauga
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- Alarmingly 20% of all Brampton being tested currently have COVID-19
- Mississauga boxing gym defying provincial lockdown orders facing charges by City
- Mississauga and Brampton may have seen last of the lockdowns, says Peel Region's top doctor
- Gun play has police on the scene at Brampton neighbourhood