New construction coming to busy road in Mississauga
Some new construction is coming to one of the city's busiest roads in order to make way for an exciting higher-order transit project.
Metrolinx recently announced that commuters can expect new construction on Hurontario in preparation for the Hurontario LRT project.
The LRT, a $1 billion transit project being carried out by Metrolinx, will span 18 km and run from Port Credit GO at Lakeshore Rd. in the south to the Brampton Gateway Terminal at Steeles Ave in the north.
The LRT will boast 19 stops and provide connections to the Port Credit and Cooksville GO stations, Mississauga Transitway, MiWay and Zum transit lines.
Initially, it was slated to run 20 km and feature 22 stops, but Metrolinx recently announced it was chopping the City Centre loop to reduce costs.
What construction is coming up soon?
Enbridge Gas Line Relocation Hurontario Street from Highway 407 to Sir Lou Drive
To accommodate the construction of the LRT, Enbridge is required to install a new gas line on Hurontario Street from Highway 407 to Sir Lou Drive.
Metrolinx says the work is scheduled to start in late February 2020 and will last for approximately six months. The work will occur between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Metrolinx says that while every effort will be made to minimize disruptions, residents and businesses near the work site can expect to hear noise caused by trucks, excavators, backhoes, and other construction equipment.
Commuters should note that lane reductions will be required on Hurontario Street between Highway 407 to Sir Lou Drive, so traffic delays are expected. At no time will all lanes be closed.
Transit users should note that due to lane reductions along Hurontario Street, delays can be expected on Brampton Transit routes 2, 54, 56, Zum route 502 and MiWay express route 103.
Pedestrians are advised to take care when travelling near construction areas and watch for additional signs, as detours may be required.
- LRT construction coming to busy street in Mississauga
- More Construction Coming to Major Road in Mississauga Soon
- Construction Set to Cause Delays on Major Street in Mississauga
- More construction coming to major streets to make way for LRT in Mississauga
- More construction coming to major road in Mississauga this fall
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents 80 and older can now book their vaccines
- Special weather statement in effect for Mississauga and Brampton
- Region of Peel calls flyer asking Mississauga parents to completely isolate their COVID-positive children a “mistake”