New area code being introduced in parts of Mississauga, Brampton, and southern Ontario
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has announced it is adding an area code for southern Ontario.
The new area code--742--will be gradually introduced to areas that currently use the 289, 365, and 905 area codes starting October 16.
The decision is in response to the growing demand for new telephone numbers in these areas, which is largely due to rapidly increasing population growth.
New phone numbers will only be assigned a 742 area code once there is no longer a sufficient supply of phone numbers using the existing area codes.
“The introduction of a new area code creates millions of additional telephone numbers without affecting the existing numbers,” Kelly T. Walsh, program manager of the Canadian Numbering Administrator, said in a news release.
“The new area code 742 will be added to the current area codes already in use in southern Ontario," he continued.
- This area in Mississauga has almost 20% COVID-19 positivity, 4th highest in Ontario
- Seven of Ontario’s postal code areas hardest hit by COVID-19 are in Brampton
- St. Catharines area has 8th highest COVID-19 positivity in Ontario
- Mississauga still has an area with a startling 18.43% COVID-19 positivity
- Milton postal code reporting 10.95% COVID-19 positivity
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Popular breakfast and lunch restaurant opening new location in Mississauga
- The controversial aircraft built and destroyed in Mississauga