NBA player RJ Barrett donates $100,000 to Mississauga Food Bank
Times have been tough for everyone, but Mississauga’s most vulnerable residents have been hit particularly hard—especially those who were already struggling with food insecurity.
Last month, the Mississauga Food Bank said it needed to raise over $800,000 to meet the needs of the community. Almost immediately, prominent residents such as philanthropist and Paramount Fine Foods CEO Mohamad Fakih and Raptors superfan Nav Bhatia stepped up their fundraising efforts.
Now, it looks like RJ Barrett—the 19-year-old New York Knicks player who attended St. Marcellinus Secondary School in Mississauga—is doing his part to support the food bank.
On April 21, the Mississauga Food Bank announced that Barret donated $100,000 to the organization.
“We are so thankful for [Barrett’s] donation of $100,000! Thank you for thinking of your hungry neighbours in Mississauga!,” the organization tweeted.
According to The Bleacher Report, Barrett has made $250,000 worth of donations to COVID-19 relief efforts in New York and Canada. According to the article, his donations include 200,000 meals, face masks, gowns, N95 masks, disposable face shields and microporous disposable coveralls.
Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie took to social media to thank Barrett for his generous donation.
Floored to hear that home-grown @RjBarrett6 has donated $100,000 to the #Mississauga @Food_Bank in support of #COVID19 efforts. RJ, thank you for giving back during these challenging times. This will help put food on the table for countless families in need across our Cityhttps://t.co/grfykGEQkF pic.twitter.com/2c4OkDsce6— Bonnie Crombie (@BonnieCrombie) April 21, 2020
“Floored to hear that home-grown [RJ Barrett] has donated $100,000 to the Mississauga Food Bank in support of COVID19 efforts,” Crombie tweeted.
“RJ, thank you for giving back during these challenging times. This will help put food on the table for countless families in need across our city.”
Cover photo courtesy of RJ Barrett’s official Instagram account
- Mississauga Food Bank says RJ Barrett donation will provide 200,000 meals
- Raptors Superfan Nav Bhatia pledges to help raise money for Mississauga Food Bank
- Challenge launched in support of Mississauga Food Bank
- The Mississauga Food Bank calls out for support during COVID-19 pandemic
- The Mississauga Food Bank Needs More Than Canned Food
- Police say body of what appears to be missing teen from Bradford, Ont., found
- Police investigating reports of woman being forced into vehicle in Mississauga
- Mississauga retiree plans to buy car following big lotto win
- Police searching for suspects following break and enter in Mississauga
- Doug Ford suggests that restrictions on Mississauga could be eased after the 28-day rollback ends