Nando’s restaurant chain set to close multiple locations amid COVID-19 crisis
Nando's Canada, which specializes in peri-peri chicken, recently announced that it will be closing 21 underperforming locations over the coming weeks.
In a statement posted to its website, the chain says it has experienced a sharp decline in sales during the COVID-19 crisis due to the lockdowns—which have pummelled the restaurant industry—in place across the country.
Over the next few weeks, Nando's Canada will move to permanently close 21 of its corporate owned-and-operated restaurants.
"These stores have not been commercially viable for some time, and their losses were only exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis," the statement reads.
While the news is bleak, the brand will continue to operate 27 restaurants in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.
According to the statement, all 13 corporate owned-and-operated restaurants and 14 franchise locations will remain open for business and diners can look for open locations by clicking here. The chain says it will continue to offer takeout and delivery through DoorDash, UberEats and SkipTheDishes.
Nando's grocery business will not be affected by the restaurant closures.
The company says it will work to shift employees to remaining locations wherever possible.
"This is a very challenging period for all Canadian businesses, with Restaurants Canada estimating that nearly 1 million foodservice jobs already have been lost nationwide due to COVID-19," Nando's said in a statement.
"Many of these jobs may not return. To minimize disruption, Nando's is making every effort to shift employees to its remaining corporate locations. Nando's has carefully reviewed the separation packages that will be provided to affected employees to ensure that, not only are they compliant with all legal requirements, but that they are as generous as possible during this time."
More information on which locations will be closed will be shared as we receive it.
- A fast food chain has had to close 40 locations amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Is This Major Restaurant Chain Shutting Down Locations in Canada?
- Nearly 10 per cent of restaurants have had to close permanently due to COVID-19
- BCBGMAXAZRIA Closing All Locations in Canada
- Starbucks plans to close up to 200 Canadian locations over two years
- Police say body of what appears to be missing teen from Bradford, Ont., found
- Mississauga retiree plans to buy car following big lotto win
- Police investigating reports of woman being forced into vehicle in Mississauga
- Police searching for suspects following break and enter in Mississauga
- Doug Ford suggests that restrictions on Mississauga could be eased after the 28-day rollback ends