Mother and son from Hamilton cash $1 million after lotto win
It took them a decade but Lorraine Simmons and Gregory Simmons, a mother and son duo from Ancaster, won the Guaranteed $1 Million Prize in the Feb. 3, 2021, Lotto 6/49 draw.
"We've been playing the lottery together for 10 years," Lorraine shared while at the OLG Prize Centre in Toronto to pick up their winnings.
Lorraine was at home when she used the OLG Lottery app to check their ticket.
"I looked at the screen and it was hard to believe."
She then called Greg to share the good news but had to get his wife to wake him first.
"I sprang out of bed," he laughed. "We went straight to my mom's house to see for ourselves. It was surreal.”
Gregory added that the win is a great “life enhancer,” but it won't change him.
"This is an incredible blessing," he smiled.
Lorraine said her priority is an educational fund for her grandchildren; meanwhile, Gregory plans to settle in and make decisions later.
The winning ticket was purchased at Avondale on Garner Rd. in Ancaster.
LOTTO 6/49 is $3 per play and draws take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Police responding to male with firearm in Mississauga convenience store
- Roadway shut down after pedestrian struck by vehicle, seriously injured in Mississauga
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules