More than 800 new COVID-19 cases reported in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon as province announces reopening plans

By

Published January 20, 2022 at 4:17 pm

More than 800 new COVID-19 cases were reported in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon on Thursday as the province announced plans to ease pandemic restrictions across Ontario.

Of Thursday’s 830 new cases, Peel Public Health (PPH) said 414 were in Brampton, 354 were in Mississauga and another 62 cases were in Caledon and other areas.


Premier Doug Ford announced plans for Ontario restaurants, gyms, theatres and retailers to reopen at 50 per cent capacity starting Jan. 31 after bringing in modified Step 2 restrictions earlier this month.

The province will begin a gradual loosening of restrictions throughout the month of February, with Ford pushing for a full province-wide reopening in March.

The province reported 7,757 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, but health officials say case counts are likely an underestimate due to testing limitations and backlogs across Ontario.

Ontario reported 4,061 people hospitalized with COVID-19 on Thursday, and Health Minister Christine Elliott said COVID-19 cases are expected to peak this month with hospitalizations and ICU admissions to follow. 

Elliot said 55 per cent of those patients were admitted to the hospital for COVID-19, and the remaining 45 per cent were admitted “for other reasons but have tested positive” for the virus.

On Wednesday, 589 COVID-19 patients were in intensive care units.

The most recent numbers from PPH show 92.9 per cent of Peel residents over 12 years old have had at least one shot of a COVID-19 vaccine, while 89.7 per cent have received two doses as of Jan. 17.

More than 439,300 Peel residents have received a third dose, and 88.9 per cent of people over 5 years old have received at least one vaccine shot while 82.7 per cent have received two doses.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising